Okay, it's always the right time to watch scary movies, Halloween makes it better but scary movies rock all the time.
But who wants to watch Christmas movies in July? Yeah, it's a little weird, all those people wearing layers while sweat is tricking down your neck. Who needs that? I watched this pretty funny movie a friend of mine made called "Another Christmas. They shot the film in the summer time, you can't tell at all, I wouldn't have known unless the actors told me. But I have to be in the festive mood.
I really think I could get used to Christmas in the tropics but so far, it's culture shock for me. I have only known the unpleasant cold at Christmas.
This weekend last year I shot my film "Play Dead" and fortunately, we were not trying to pretend it was warm out because trust me, it wasn't. This weekend was even colder than last year so I am thankful to not be outside in it this year but I sure wish I was shooting a film! (indoors or in a warmer climate)
Anyway, back to holiday movies- that's my topic. No matter where you are, or what the weather, it is that time of year!
So, are you in the mood? Get out the fuzzy socks and warm up the hot chocolate, pop the popcorn and cuddle up in your snuggie in front of your electric heater or fire place.
Here are my favorite Christmas movies and a few stinkers I either love to hate or would never see again! Here is my best list:
10- Bad Santa Kick the kids out of the room! This movie is for grown ups only! The filthiest holiday movie I have ever seen. I didn't stop laughing for the entire film. Seriously, this is a hard R rating- enjoy.
9.Gremlins Maybe you can watch it any time and enjoy it, but it really is best around the holidays. Don't you just love that bit when the little guy is driving the sports car through the department story? It has a moral message at the end, too.
8.The Nightmare before Christmas It's sad and it's sweet, it's got Halloween and Christmas together- it's funny and it's poignant, what more could you want. And you can let the kids back in the room now, it's safe.
7. A Christmas Story Admit it, you really want to get someone that fishnet stockinged leg for Christmas but you don't really want to spend $50. Buy it after Christmas when it's on sale and put it in the closet for a year- Hey kid, you'll shoot your eye out!
6. Miracle on 34th Street Go for the original, it's so much better. Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus!
5. Scrooged It's still funny every time Carol Kane beats the crap out of Bill Murray. I love the re-imagining of this classic- but I have to recommend other versions of A Christmas Carol the Henry Winkler version was pretty cool for me.
4. Okay, Christmas would not be Christmas without Rankin/Bass! Those shows never get old year after year, so here is to the classics- Santa Claus is Coming to town, Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman two others that fall into the animated most nostalgic place are The Grinch who stole Christmas (1966) Not that crap Jim Carrey tried to shove at us, the original animated wonderful version- there is no other. And of course, the timeless Charlie Brown Christmas
3 Trading Places I know it's not strictly a Christmas movie but there is a drunk Santa- and it is really, really funny. Eddie Murphy and Dan Ackroyd for the holidays! Bring on the eggnog (not for me, of course, I will have hot chocolate)
2. The Chronicles of Narnia, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. It's a wonderful Christmas film, and Father Christmas hands out some interesting toys. My deep love of CS Lewis made this most recent film very worthwhile for me, even if it does warm up in the end.
1. It's a Wonderful Life This movie can get pretty depressing, but it makes me cry happy tears every time I see it, and I love that it can only be broadcast once a year. I know it is nostalgic and weepy and poignant but I love, love, love this silly movie because it never gets old for me.
I'll take marshmallows and whipped cream in my hot chocolate, thank you.
Okay, seriously on to movies that I am cool with never seeing again. In no particular order-
Surviving Christmas Wow, seriously awful, more like surviving this movie.
Christmas Vacation Okay, Chevy Chase is funny but oh, my this movie sucks- I think I wanted out when the dog puked under the table and my ex boyfriend wanted to rewind it so he could laugh at it again. Yeah, that was the moment I turned against him and the movie.
Jingle all the way Um, Arnold, they gave you dialogue, that was the first mistake. Dude cannot act and proved it with this movie. Seriously stupid movie.
Elf I never saw it. Will Farrell is in it. That's enough for me- I'm pretty sure it is resoundingly stupid. I don't care if you say it isn't. la la la, I'm not listening to you!!!
Christmas with the Kranks Still trying to scrub the memory from my brain!!!
Four Christmases What a waste of Reese Witherspoon and Vince Vaughn, couldn't anyone write those two talented people a good script? I will, I will!!! Sappy, crappy, not even worth a good sentimental cry. Hope they got paid well. Romantic comedy set at a holiday- fail
Live action How the Grinch stole Christmas really- how could you? I mean how could you people go and ruin it like that? Shame, shame, shame on you for that.
Have a lovely holiday, everyone, enjoy the movies. And I will tell you a little secret, I get a kick out of the bad ones, too!!!